Wednesday 3 August 2011

A Secret World by Geoff Brindle

Hello,

Here we are with a new exhibition, brand new, we just put it up yesterday and here is my interview with the artist, Geoff Brindle.



Kirsty: Hi, as always we start with an easy one, Cheese Toastie or Ham Toastie?
Geoff: I don't eat cheese.

Kirsty: What inspires you in three words?
Geoff: Life in general.

(No pause on that answer either - I'm impressed!)

Kirsty: What was the last thing you dreamt about?
Geoff: I can't remember.

Kirsty: When did you last cry and why?
Geoff: I think it was probably after my marriage broke up five years ago.

Kirsty: What makes you laugh?
Geoff: All sorts of things, many and varied.

Kirsty: Can you describe your workspace/ studio?
Geoff: I have a studio at the top of my house, it is a scene of unbelievable chaos but it is comfortable and feels very creative. It is full of pictures and books and bric a brac and almost like a large inspiration board. I sit, usually or sometimes stand and always listen to radio 4 on my old fashioned bakelite brown radio.

Which in my head, looks like this...


Kirsty: How do you come up with the titles of your work?
Geoff: Usually I find a connection with either a figure in the work or an area.

Kirsty: What other artists must we check out?
Geoff: Adrian Brouwe a flemish painter, (have a look here)

Kirsty: Visually, can you recommend a film?
Geoff: I'm not really a film buff, but Canal is good, a polish war film.

Again, another one not so keen on films, maybe liking art and liking films are not easy companions?

Kirsty: What is the most frustrating thing about being an artist?
Geoff: Lack of recognition, in art, if people don't understand something they think it is rubbish, yet if this happens in science a complex statement means someone is a genius. I find that frustrating.

Kirsty: And, the best?
Geoff: I enjoy the whole process of applying paint, the mental process and the satisfaction of completing a piece, and the additional pleasure of people appreciating the work you've done.


Now - last time I attended a school event I asked some of the students what they would ask and here are a couple of the questions....


Karly, 13, asks 'Why do you paint pictures?'
Geoff: It's a challenge to fill in something that doesn't exist and to create something from scratch.

Jodie, 12, said 'How old were you when you created your first artwork?'
Geoff: I would say 4 years old when I did a picture with wax crayons, and I remember I did my first painting with oils at 10 years old.

Thanks Karly and Thanks Jodie and Thanks Geoff, I will be posting more of his work soon and some of the stories behind the work!

Ta Ta



Kirsty

No comments:

Post a Comment